Wednesday 21 June 2017

Orange, grapefruit and lime lemonade

This is a quick post with a quick lemonade idea.  We love making lemonade and limade but I was interested to try some grapefruit instead.  I was a bit unsure about using the sour grapefruit and used a few oranges but it made it too sweet.  I ended up adding in the juice of quite a few limes.  You can taste that distinctive sweet bitter flavour of the grapefruit but not quite as much as I would like.  More experiment is needed.  And could come soon as we are heading into the time of winter when fresh fruit is disappointing.

More juice combinations at Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Blackberry limeade (gf, v) 
Moody Blues (pineapple and blackberry juice) (gf, v)
Mulled apple juice (gf, v)
Raspberry lemonade (gf, v)
Spiced red currant and orange punch (gf, v)
Watermelon, banana, strawberry, peach juice

Orange, grapefruit and lime lemonade
Inspired by Green Gourmet Giraffe's Lemonade and Limeade 

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 ruby grapefruit
3 oranges (or less)
1 mandarin (optional)
3-4 limes (or more)
Soda water
Ice blocks and fresh mint, for garnish

Heat water and sugar over low heat until sugar is dissolved to make a sugar syrup.

Juice the fruit and add to the sugar syrup.  (NB it is more like 2 cups of juice to 1 cup sugar syrup here unlike my lemonade which is 1 cup juice to 1 cup sugar syrup because the oranges were quite sweet.)

Serve about 1/4 citrus mixture with 3/4 soda water or to taste.  Garnish with ice blocks and fresh mint if desired.

UPDATE July 2017: Made this again with 1 large ruby grapefruit and some smaller lemons and limes (I think it was 1 1/2 cups juice with one third grapefruit and one third a mix of lemon and lime.  I made sugar syrup with 1 cup water and 1 1/2 cup sugar.)  Really loved it.

On the Stereo:
Edgar Allan Poe's Haunted Palace: The Tiger Lillies

9 comments:

  1. I rarely make lemonade type drinks (actually, I never have) but have just bought some popsicle moulds to make ice lollies - and I think an adjusted version of this would go very well in those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I am sure these would adjust to icy poles though you would probably need them a lot sweeter than we drink this as icy poles need to be quite sweet.

      Delete
  2. These citrus drinks look so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I'm making lemonade too this weekend. It must be all the citrus around :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - yes lots of citrus to keep us going through winter - enjoy your lemonade

      Delete
  4. I'm always so impressed when you make drinks like this. I love the idea of home-made citrus-ade, but can never be bothered.... I am too lazy and just look for an 'artisan' bottle of the stuff if I have a hankering. It looks so refreshing though..... maybe I could be tempted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I think we make it more because we have citrus trees - but it is a great refreshing drink as it is not too sweet.

      Delete
  5. These look like just what a warm summer day is crying out for. I've given up buying ready made cordials, even the decent ones, as there seemed to be so many unecessary chemicals in there. These look like a much better option. Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)